8.04.2012

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

I must admit, I stole this recipe from Jenny @ The Box and the B, and she got it from Southern Living.  Well, where ever it came from, it's yummy!  I am so thrilled with the outcome, I think you should take some of that left over turkey you have and make some yourself!
 
Here is the recipe, Jenny said that she used Uncle Ben's wild rice, and it turned out fine and saved time.  I didn't do this because when I was shopping I didn't remember that she had said this.....  I used real wild rice and it took me an hour to cook it just like the recipe states.  I think next time I'll opt for using Uncle Ben's!
 
Without further adieu, here's the recipe, enjoy!!
 
 
Image courtesy of Jenny @ The Box and the B
 
Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
(via Christmas with Southern Living 2010)
 
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt, divided
1 cup uncooked wild rice
4 bacon slices
1 medium onion, chopped (2 cups)
3 celery ribs, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 cups chopped cooked turkey
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
 
1. Bring 4 cups water, butter, and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in rice. Return to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and cook 55 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain if necessary, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 6 to 7 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippins in skillet. Crumble bacon.
3. Saute onion, celery, and garlic in hot drippings until tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, broth, and next 2 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in rice, bacon, and cream. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in Parsley and serve.

No comments :