8.02.2012

Mouth Breather & Bridge to 10k

Weird topic today right?  Well, that's because I cannot seem to figure this mouth breathing while exercising thing out. 

Normally, I breath through my nose.  When I run though, I tend to breath only through my mouth.  Does this happen for anyone else?  Do you even notice?  I noticed because I am bothered (though only slightly) by mouth breathers in general.  I think it's because mouth breathers seem to be LOUD breathers (at least around me).  My husband is a mouth breather and several co-workers in the past have been mouth breathers, and it annoys me. (I don't love you any less honey!!!)  So for me to breath through my mouth makes me mad.  But.... I've tried to make myself breath through my nose when running and I just cannot seem to make it happen. 

I've done some research on this topic (not much) but a little, and thought I'd post what I've found.  In a Livestrong.com article the writer says that we should strive to breath through our noses during running and here's why:

Exercise
Nasal breathing is more efficient than mouth breathing in terms of supplying oxygen to the body. When performing cardiovascular exercise, it is therefore preferable to inhale and exhale through the nose. If you are exercising and become out of breath, it is faster to exhale through the mouth than the nose, but this will reduce the amount of oxygen extracted from each exhalation. Additionally, the nostrils and sinuses play a part in filtering and warming the air that is inhaled into the lungs. This filtering effect is helpful in keeping bacteria and particles out of your body. When exercising in chilly weather, breathing through the nose prevents cold air from going straight to your lungs and causing chest and throat pain.


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/255298-mouth-breathing-vs-nasal-breathing/#ixzz22IaZ9kog"

So why can't I make myself do it???  It will be better for me if I do, My goal on my next run is to make this happen.  I do it during strength training, the 30 day shred and during my days when I just walk, so I'm bound and determined to make myself do it while running.

Speaking of Running.  Yesterday I completed day 2 of the Bridge to 10k and I've gotta say, the first two days haven't been bad.  Now, let me also say that I am a SLOW runner.  Both days, I've only completed just over 3.5 miles during the program.  The program consisted of this:

5 min warm up walk
10 min run
1 min walk
10 min run
1 min walk
10 min run
1 min walk
10 min run
5 min cool down walk

If I were doing what I should be doing, I should have well over 4 miles in during this time.  I would LOVE to get a 10 min running mile in at some point in my life.  But I've gotta say.  I am proud that I can even do 40 minutes of running.  I am proud that I push myself to get up at 5:45 to go out in the dark and run.  I am proud that I did the 3.1 miles (5k) in the first 46 minutes this morning.  (My original goal for the 5k running was to do it in 45 minutes, so I'm nearly there!) 

My goals aren't HUGE to an experience runner.  But for this Mama who has been out of shape for the last 10+ years of my life, these goals have been tough, and yet, I'm doing it!  I'm proud of myself.  I'm also proud of myself for sticking to my plan and doing the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred at least 3 days per week!

What exercise routines are you doing?  Are you proud of your accomplishments?  (YOU SHOULD BE!)

Happy Thursday Ladies!

1 comment :

Holly said...

I'm proud of you fo doing 40 minutes of running! We need to find a race to do together when I get up to your level! :)