8.04.2012

BEST EVER Banana Cake

The first time I made this cake was for Cooper's first birthday last October.  I made it in the shape of a monkey.


Then, in November, I made it for my dad's birthday, with cream cheese frosting. He requested this cake cause it's oh so good!  (BEST EVER!)  (if I can find a picture, I'll be sure to post it)

The end of March was coming and it was getting close to time to think about what kind of cake to make for Hubby's birthday - April 8th.  Guess what cake he requested????  That's right.  The banana cake again.....

Here is a picture of the Hubby's cake.  He wanted plain vanilla frosting.

 
 
Now, aren't you ready for a slice?  And the recipe??  Ok, here it is, just for you!  
 
I've got to give credit where credit is due...  I got this recipe from food.com. and I highly recommend it!  Link to the cake recipe is in the previous sentence and below
 
  • 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 1/8 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  1. Preheat oven to 275°. (I never bake at this temperature, but for this cake, do it!) 
  2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan. (I have used a pyrex bowl for Cooper's cake, and 3x8" round pans for Tim's and my dad's cakes)
  3. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
  4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  5. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
  6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
  7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
  8. Stir in banana mixture.
  9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (usually around 40-50 minutes for me)
  10. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist. (Yes, this may seem like a silly step, but DO IT! It really works!)

I hope you enjoy this cake if you make it, it really is delicious!! :)

No comments :