8.15.2012

Randoms with Running

I'm a new "runner" and I don't really know that much about the sport as of yet.  I never ran in my previous life.  I remember running in high school, we had to run 20 continuous minutes for physical education class and I remember it being tough.  Now that I've done the couch to 5k program and am working on albeit slowly the bridge to 10k, I feel like I have discovered a few things.

1) The importance of good shoes. This realization has just come to my attention this week actually.  I was running on Sunday morning and my shins were killing me.  Shin splints.  Though I didn't know that that is what it was for a few days.  You see, the last time I had shin splints they were on the front of my legs, and now my legs are killing me on the sides.  Posterior shin splints as the picture notates below.  As I discussed this with the trainer at the gym she told me to use a foam roller to stretch them or to use a tennis ball and roll along the area that is in pain.  She told me this is probably due to my shoes!  She asked when I'd last gotten new shoes (January!) and she told me that with all of the miles I've been putting in, its definitely time for new ones.  I said "ok" and walked out the door determined not to go and spend another $100+ on shoes that day.  I went running that night and now am bound and determined that I do indeed new shoes because even with the stretching, my legs are killing me.  So the shoes are on order.....
{source}
2)  Hydration is important.  I need to figure out how to keep hydrated while running.  What do I need?  Are there belts that can be worn that have containers for water?  Do they make some other kind of hydration packs?  I've been out doing these bridge to 10k trainings and running for over 45 minutes and since I'm a mouth breather while running, I really get thirsty.  Please tell me, how do you keep yourself hydrated?  How do you keep from keeping over from thirst!

{source}

3) Bugs are not my friend. I wish they would all go away while I'm running.  I am sick of them finding warmth inside my mouth and I am sick of choking on them whilst running because I'm already thirsty (as noted above) and could really do without more things making me thirsty!

{source}

4) Running playlist.  I need more songs.  I have several pins that give me lots of ideas, I just really need to go through and scrub these for some upbeat songs.  I've been listening to the same songs since I started doing my daily workouts and they're getting boring  I believe it's time for some new ones.  Any ideas for me?

5)  Motivation. I have become a major motivator to several people in my life in this last year.  I'm proud of that.  But I also want to make sure people know that I'm not perfect, that I have been eating poorly and skipping workouts too often in the past month.  My motivation has been low.  Why?  I have no idea.  But, I really want to get back with it.  Back to the 30 day shred with my co-workers, back to running 3+ days per week, and back to eating healthy.  I tend to do great Monday - Thursday, then am terrible on the weekends.  This too shall pass, right?  Let's hope!

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.  I hope I get motivated to post another

4 comments :

Holly said...

I'm with you on the eating well Mon-Thur part. What kind of running shoes do you want? I got a pair of Nikes from Kohl's for $60... They feel like clouds on my feet.

I hope you have a good night... And find that motivation! You've come so far already!!

SkinnyMeg said...

1. shoes are a must and make sure you are getting fitted for the right pair.
2.I go to the sporting goods store and try on all the different belts to find the one that fits best. I also run on a loop so every 2 miles I run past my driveway and can grab a drink. Oh I also chew gum while I run it helps!!
3. I posted my playlist a few times if you look under the working out tab it should be there, lots of fun stuff :)
good luck!

Al said...

Woman I have so much respect for you. I WANT to run. Just haven't quite gotten there.. hmm...what was that about motivation?? ;)

xoxo!!!

Nicki said...

Hey there, I don't run with water because well I have s tiny bladder but that's Tmi for you, but my friend has a belt they she'll put water or gatoraide in. Shoes are a must as well as hydration during the day. I notice if I don't drink enough water during the day then I get muscle aches... Playlist/ well I really like anything pitbull, home, watching you watch him, rihanna. Check out your favorite radio's top ten of top played that's where I get my new songs from.