8.04.2012

Rich Chocolate Cherry Cake (George Washington Cake)

I've got several recipes to share, the first being this delicious chocolate and cherry cake.  My aunt recently made this for my grandfather's birthday and I'm hooked.  It's absolutely delicious!  I hope you will enjoy as much as I did.




Rich Chocolate Cherry Cake (George Washington Cake)

2 cups flour
3⁄4 cup sugar
3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
1 pkg. (6 oz.) chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix flour, sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add cherry pie filling, chocolate chips and walnuts and stir until just blended. Pour into greased and floured 9-cup fluted pan or 10-inch tube pan. (My aunt used a Bundt pan, and I think that's what I'll use too)  Bake in 350 F oven for 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely. Before serving sprinkle top with confectioners’ sugar if desired.

No comments :