7.31.2012

Noodleables…. Vegetarian or Not, your choice

This recipe comes from a boy scouts recipe.  I obtained it via some friends who got it from the boy scouts in Lafayette, IN at a festival.  From the first time I tried it, I was in love.  I love that this recipe is adaptable for vegetarians, and that it also works for meat eaters.  Since we are trying to cut back on the calories/fat, good stuff of life, I made it vegetarian this time.  As always, I’ll add my changes to the recipe in () so that you can see what changes I made when making it skinny.

DSC_0131
Ingredients:
  • ·2 cups carrots, sliced into ¼ inch pieces  
  • 3 cups celery, sliced into ¼ inch pieces 
  • 2 cups onions, cut into thick wedges  
  • 3 cups broccoli, cut florets and stems (I only use florets)   
  • 2 cups cauliflower, cut into pieces  
  • 1 cup red cabbage, chopped  
  • 1 cup green cabbage, chopped
  •  3 cups Reames frozen noodles (I used 4 cups because that’s what I had left from a bag, but 3 would be good and when we weren’t watching things we added an entire bag)  
  • ½ lb diced bacon OR 1/2 cup oil (I actually used the equivalent of I can’t believe it’s not butter light, 8 tbsps = 8 ww points)  
  • 3 tablespoons mixed seasonings (recipe below)

Mixed Seasonings (mix and store in container)
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup dill weed
  • 1/8 cup paprika
  • 1/8 cup coarse pepper
  •  ¼ cup salt

Method:

Fry bacon until crisp (or substitute heated oil). Add carrots and cook until slightly tender. Add seasonings, celery, onions, cauliflower and broccoli. Cook until vegetables are warm. Add cabbage and cooked noodles. Continue heating until hot. Sprinkle additional seasonings to taste. Makes approximately 8-10 servings.

When making the mixed seasonings, beware, it makes A LOT. You’ll probably only need the three that are called for in the recipe, and maybe 1 additional if you like a lot of seasoning. You’ll have enough seasonings to make this at least 3 times if not 4.

I’ll admit, it takes forever to chop up all of those vegetables… and I highly recommend buying small bags of the chopped red and green cabbage instead of entire heads, only because you’ll have a lot of cabbage left over otherwise.  Even though it’s a lot of chopping, it’s totally worth it.
The way I made it, 4 cups of noodles and 8 tablespoons of the light butter, it has 41 weight watchers points in the entire recipe and it makes 10 cups worth, so about 4.1 points per cup.  

Nom Nom Nom…. Enjoy this skinny recipe!

No comments :