7.26.2012

Sometimes Food is JUST Food

 
You may be thinking “duh, Emily” but seriously folks, food has rarely if ever been “just food” to me.  I love food.  It makes up so much of my life.  You may be thinking “how sad” but honestly, it does.  I could go on and on with examples, but let me give you just a few…..

· Family gatherings for our family are usually all tied up on what foods we’re going to prepare for everyone to eat.  When the gathering actually happens, people gather around the food, eat and socialize.  We haven’t really been what you’d call an active family.  There may be some cornhole games going on, maybe ladder golf at times, but that’s really the extent.  Growing up and still today, we don’t focus on doing activities together, other than eating. (unless you’re specifically talking about my mom and me, then we focus on shopping AND eating.

· My weekends cannot be relaxing until I figure out what we’re going to eat for the following week for dinners and getting the grocery shopping done.  This entails spending at least an hour meal planning, then more time checking out the stockpile at my house to find out what we have and what we don’t, then actually going out doing the shopping.  The grocery shopping at my house always takes at least an hour and a half in the store(s). 

· Daily food intake – I spend time each day planning lunch and breakfast around what the dinner is going to be so that I don’t “go over my points” for the day.

I think that’s probably enough for you to get the picture.  My life seems to revolve around food, at least that’s the way it appears if I were just to read the above three examples.  However, lately, I feel like food is just something that I have to eat.  It’s nothing thrilling, it’s just food. 

This morning for example…. I packed my lunch like a good girl, I have purchased good for me items to bring in my lunch, so each morning it is just the daily routine to get up and pack the lunch and breakfast, too. 

Breakfast:  ½ cup lowfat cottage cheese and 3.5 ounces raspberries – 2 points plus

Lunch: 13 baby carrots, 30 special K cracker chips, 4 tbsp roasted red pepper hummus, ½ cucumber sliced with 1 tbsp light ranch dressing, and ½ peanut butter sandwich. – 12 points plus

Dinner: pork chops, green beans and baked beans.  I have 16 points left for the rest of the day, so this should be fine.  I should even be able to have a snack.

But you know what?  None of it sounds good.  It may be just the mood that I’m in, but I’ve been this way for several days now.  When I eat food, it’s eh, ok, but nothing spectacular and nothing that I’m going back for seconds on.  And NO, I’m not pregnant, so these are not just pregnancy food aversions, although, I wish they were. 

Tell me, do you have days/weeks like these?  Because I for one, am not used to this, although, not a bad thing, I’m just not used to it!

Have a great Thursday! 

2 comments :

Holly said...

You are totally normal! The first few paragrpahs made me smile, because you know I'm the same exact way. Good thing we don't live by each other, huh? :)

Stephanie E said...

Definitely. I am not used to that at all, but since I have started counting calories and be healthier, I have found several days like this. Sometimes it is sad because I love food too! And this Norwegian girl never missed a chance to scarf down a carbohydrate! But then I remind myself of that saying that I see every 20 seconds on Pinterest--nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.