3.07.2013

It's Thursday and I'm Reflecting

Reflecting on the past 5 years of my life.  The happy times, the crazy times, and the stuff that goes along with 5 years of marriage.

Today is our fifth wedding anniversary.  We got married a day earlier than scheduled, in the middle of a snowstorm outside in a park, with my parents, my dad’s parents, my best friend, and Steph and Andrew in attendance.  It was perfect.  Perfect for us anyway.


I’ve probably shared this story before, but we had taken off work this day – because I had a diabetes education class and Tim was attending the class with me.  We had heard there was a major snow storm coming, and that it might interrupt the plans we had to get married the following day.  So, we got Steph to leave college to come home a day early, got my parents and grandparents to drive up and had my best friend leave work.  We were gonna get hitched that very afternoon as long as the minister was available.  He was, thank goodness.

That day was crazy.  While we were at the class, it had started to snow, just enough to make the roads slick.  While we were driving home from the class, I was driving, and I totaled my car.  What a way to start the day!

We got home, got ourselves ready and the family started showing up, we waited for Steph to get home safely from school before we headed to the park to find a pretty place to have the quick ceremony.  It was crazy.  That night we headed to Tennessee, only made it to Lexington, KY before Tim’s hands were too sore from gripping the steering wheel and the snow was too thick to drive more that night.  His poor knuckles were white as a ghost the entire time he drove.

It was a great day, regardless of the craziness. 

In the last 5 years, we’ve had such fun times, as well as the downs that every marriage has.  I had postpartum depression so bad after Cooper was born, I’m surprised he didn’t leave me.  I was a psycho witch.  In the last five years he has fallen on his rump while playing WII, nicked his head on a nail, cut himself while working in the garage and spilled more food and drinks on himself than anyone I’ve ever known.  I’ve cooked and baked and acted like a plum crazy person more than anyone he’s ever known.  But you know what?  It works.  We’re happy. 

We have a three year old boy and a baby girl on the way and we are blessed with the most fabulous adult kiddos on the planet.  Our life is pretty great.  Tim surprised me this morning with a card and a king sized Kit Kat and a balloon at my desk at work.  I put a card and a Payday in his underwear drawer.  That’s just us.  And it works.  This weekend, Tim’s got a surprised cooked up for me and I cannot wait.   I’m not usually a big fan of surprises, but I’m looking forward to this one. 

Happy Anniversary Honey, I love you more and more each day.

4 comments :

Tim said...

I love you too!

Melanie @ 4Kottez said...

Happy Anniversary you two.

Lindsey said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Holly said...

Happy Anniversary, Johnson's! We need to plan a blend-of-the-family vacation! :)