3.26.2013

Babymoon Weekend

This post is going to be picture free – I really just want to recap our weekend – it’s a long post, feel free to turn away now if you’d like – If I get ambitious I may add the very few pictures that I took later on, we’ll see.

This past weekend, Tim took me away for the weekend.  We went to Louisville, KY and it was just the two of us.  Our first time being away from Cooper for 2 nights in a row.  Probably the last time we’ll be without a child for the next 18+ years……

Anyway, my mom and Shawn were so awesome to keep Cooper for the weekend, and because I knew they would take such great care of him, I didn’t worry, at least not too much.  Granted it helped that where we stayed was about 30 minutes away from where they live, so we weren’t too far away if they needed us.

So when we dropped Cooper off at their house on Friday night, we went to dinner at one of my favorite places (since I grew up in this area, I have several), Kingfish,  and it was packed!  I was in disbelief, because we were a little late for the “dinner” crowd, but then I was quickly reminded by my mom (yes, I was already checking on Cooper), that it was lent, and it was a Friday, so that explains it.  We didn’t have to wait long though, thankfully, and we had a peaceful kid free dinner.  Then we went to see Silver Linings Playbook, which I thought was ok, but definitely not the best movie I’ve ever seen.  I actually thought it was kind of slow.  Anyway.  By the time we got back to the hotel, I was pooped.  Tim stayed up to watch some March Madness and I was zonked out.

Saturday morning, we had big plans to visit Lynn’s Paradise Cafe for breakfast, but those plans were quickly squashed due to its closing in early January this year.  We were disappointed to say the least.  We’d only visited there once before, but it was so delicious, it left a lasting impression on us and we knew that we had wanted to come back – guess that won’t happen unless someone decides to buy the business.  So, I did the only thing I knew to do – I solicited advice on Instagram and Facebook to the locals (blog friends and old school friends/family that live in the area)…..  I only had a couple of suggestions, but we chose one and off we went.  The CafĂ© won us over.  We didn’t end up ordering breakfast food, but what we did order was delicious.

After that, we headed to Bardstown, KY to visit a couple of bourbon distilleries.  Exactly what every pregnant woman wants to do, right?  Visit where alcohol is the main attraction?!?  Well, I don’t enjoy bourbon when I am allowed to have it, so it wouldn’t have mattered when we visited there.  We visited the Jim Beam distillery and the Heaven Hill distillery.  Both were pretty neat.  Tim’s favorite bourbon (at least I think it’s his favorite) is made by Jim Beam (Knob Creek) – so he was happy to do a tasting of a couple of Knob Creek bourbons he hadn’t tried before, and he stocked up on some to bring home. 

Later that day, we decided to go to the Louisville Slugger Museum.  Tim LOVES baseball.  And since that crazy time consuming sport is about to start, what better way than to visit where they make all of those bats?  I must admit, it was pretty fascinating seeing how they produce hundreds of thousands of bats for all of those major league players along with the minors and everyone else who uses a wooden bat.  The tour itself was pretty entertaining, with the one downside being that I had a very difficult time breathing while in the factory portion of the tour.  They have this hot mist humidifiers going constantly to keep the wood the correct humidity for carving and it was difficult for this hugely prego woman to breath.  Once the tour was finished, they gave everyone a miniature bat and we were outta there.  If you’re ever in the Louisville KY area and are interested in baseball, this is a definite do.  The tour was short and sweet (only about 30 min) but there were other things to do there for kids and adults alike, I cannot wait to bring Cooper back here once he’s a bit older.

Did I mention that baseball season is about to gear up in our household?  Tim is an umpire for high school baseball in the Indianapolis area, and he’s booked solid (6 days per week with double headers every Saturday) from the second week of April through the end of May……  Lots of single mama time coming for me in the next couple of months. 

Anywho, back to our weekend.  I was exhausted by this point in the day, so we headed back to the hotel,  and I took a short nap and did some FaceTime with Cooper and my mom.  Dinner was next, and we went to The Old Spaghetti Factory, which was a short walk from our hotel.  I have a love/hate relationship with that place.  I love the salad and the spumoni ice cream, but generally think their other food is quite bland.  Tim and I hadn’t been there in a couple of years, so it was nice to try it again, but I have a feeling it’ll be awhile before we go back, if we do.  Oh well, it has a nice atmosphere none the less.

The last part of our day consisted of a comedy club trip.  We generally enjoy comedy clubs.  I’ll admit, it takes me awhile to get out of my prudish ways, but once I do, I usually find the comics pretty funny.  That was the case with this comic.  Claude Stuart was outrageous.  I mean he has the most energy of any one person that I have ever seen.  I don’t know if he was on something, or if he’s just generally that nuts, but it made for a comical evening.  I had a great time out with the husband. 

Then back at the hotel, while Tim watched more March Madness I again crashed!  This pregnant stuff makes a girl tired! 

Sunday morning – after we got up and got moving, we had reservations to the revolving restaurant at the top of our hotel for Sunday Brunch.  My husband is probably my hero for dining there by the way…. He is deathly afraid of heights, so we didn’t sit in the revolving part of the restaurant, but he did make it being up 25 floors and having panoramic views of the city and river.  I love this man!!  Back to the brunch….  Oh my goodness Ladies….  That brunch was fantastic.  I just wish my stomach had the capacity to hold as much food as it used to, lol.  Not really, but I did that morning.  Tim and I both enjoyed made to order omelets and so many more of their delicious dishes before moving on to dessert.  It was incredible.  Please eat here if you come to Louisville.  That’s all.

Next we headed to pick Cooper up and visit with Mom and Shawn for a little bit, then back to reality in Indianapolis, where we were in for about 7-8 inches of snow that started Sunday afternoon and went through Monday afternoon.  OH reality, aren’t you awesome?!? 

1 comment :

Shelli said...

I'm so glad you had a good time in Louisville! You hit a few of my favorite spots. Where did you end up going for breakfast? My extended family and I were out of town in Jasper, IN! Ha!