11.26.2012

Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole

I know, I know, I haven't posted a recipe in a LONG time.  I apologize.  I just haven't tried too many things that I've been dying to tell you about.  I hate when that happens...  But this one, ladies, let me tell you, it's wonderful!



Just look at it.  Ooey, gooey deliciousness.  If you follow me on Pinterest, you'll know that I pin a lot of recipes for breakfast foods.  It's because I always want to come up with something delicious to make for Christmas morning or Easter morning, or any other special morning around our house.

This past weekend, Tim's sister and two of her kids came to stay with us on Friday night.  We made a big breakfast on Saturday morning which included this goodness.  I got the recipe from a Pinterest pin, but then found out it came right from Pillsbury!  Imagine that.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 cans cinnamon rolls with icing (the suggestion was the 8 count rolls, but Tim bought me the Cinnabon 5 count rolls and they worked fine, great even!)
  • 6 eggs (I only used 5)
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 cup of pecans
  • 1 cup maple syrup (I used 3/4 cup)
Topping Ingredients:
  • Icing from cinnamon rolls
  • powdered sugar (I did not use)
  • Maple Syrup (I also did not use)
Method:
  1. Heat oven to 375°F. Pour melted butter into ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Separate both cans of dough into 16 rolls; set icing aside. Cut each roll into 8 pieces; place pieces over butter in dish. I didn't really make sure I cut each roll into 8 pieces, I just cut small pieces and it worked fine.
  2. In medium bowl, beat eggs. Beat in cream, cinnamon and vanilla until well blended; gently pour over roll pieces. Sprinkle with pecans; drizzle with 1 cup syrup (or 3/4 cup as I did).
  3. Bake 20 to 28 minutes or until golden brown.  I ended up having to bake for quite a big longer, as mine was very gooey in the middle until 35-40 min. Cool 15 minutes. Meanwhile, remove covers from icing; microwave on Medium (50%) 10 to 15 seconds or until thin enough to drizzle. I also didn't microwave frosting, after sitting out for the entire time the casserole baked, it was easy to drizzel and it spread wonderfully once it was on. 
  4. Drizzle icing over top; sprinkle with powdered sugar. If desired, spoon syrup from dish over individual servings. Serve with the additional 1/2 cup maple syrup. Again, I opted to not add more calories with powdered sugar and syrup.  I had them on the side if anyone needed to add, but it was pretty sweet as it was.
I highly recommend this for a Christmas/Easter or other special morning event.  It was quite a bit for my family, especially since we had lots of other foods to eat that morning, I will probably divide it in half for our Christmas breakfast this year. 

Enjoy! :)

4 comments :

Melanie @ 4Kottez said...

YUM!!!! Sticky buns - can't go wrong. LOL

Kimmyyy83 said...

I want all of that in my mouth! I also nominated you for an award on my blog- go check it out! :-) http://thethingaboutdestiny.blogspot.com/2012/11/awards.html

Elise said...

Oh my goodness, this looks amazing!

Holly said...

Oh my LAWD, Emily Johnson. This looks divine. I might have to make this for work next week...