9.06.2012

Running in the Dark

I've been rather afraid of it. 

Not because I'm scared of my neighborhood, but because just the thought of going out and running when I have nothing to look at nothing to keep me going scares me. 

Until yesterday. 

My neighbor went running and was finished by the time I had hauled myself out of bed.  I asked her about it and she told me that heck yeah, she's runs in the dark.  I said, OK.  I can do this too.  You see, the entire time I've been running outside it has been summertime, and at 5:45 it was almost light out when I'd head out.  Since it's been getting light much later now, I've been LAZY.  I mean I still work out a few times a week, but not 5-6 like I had been.  I've been doing Jillian, or treadmill workouts, but that just doesn't satisfy me like a morning run.  So, when my neighbor bit the bullet, I decided I would too.

So this morning, I woke up, looked at the clock and it was 5:48.  I decided to go for it.  A slllllllooooooooowwwwww 2.4 miles and 30 minutes later, I was back in my driveway and it was still dark outside.  And guess what?  I made it, AND it wasn't bad at all.  I actually liked it.  Our neighborhood has lots of street lights, and many people leave their coach lights and patio lights on at night, which makes it even lighter out than I could have imagined. 

I hope I can keep this motivation that my neighbor has given me, she started doing the couch to 5k just after I finished it, and she's doing a great job!  I took almost 3 weeks off from a serious (for me) run, and I've got some catching back up to do.  It's crazy how much endurance you can lose in such a short period of time.  Just makes me realize how much I need to keep going and not let myself stop anymore!

So, that's my running in the dark story.  Nothing major, but still an accomplishment that I'm glad I achieved.

Now, can someone tell me why short work weeks feel so dreadfully LONG?

Have a GREAT DAY!

1 comment :

Holly said...

Go, Emily! And 2.4 miles in 30 minutes is about my pace, too. Especially at 5' something in the morning in the dusk of day. :)