1.07.2013

Crazy Weekend

It’s Monday again!  I say that with great JOY.  Honestly.  After the weekend I had, I am actually glad to be back in a regular schedule, routine, back to normal.   This post is long and rather intense.  Feel free to skip this one, I just wanted to get it in the record books before I forgot to write it out.

You see, last Thursday night, as I was driving home alone (because Cooper was sick and Tim stayed home with him), I got a phone call.  One of those types that you hope you don’t ever get.  My dad had been in a car accident.  My brother didn’t really know how bad it was, he knew that his leg was bad, but wasn’t told anything else.  He would get back with me as soon as he knew more.  You see, I live 2 hours away from my dad and brother and I was struggling with whether or not to get home, pack some things and jump in the car to head there.  My brother advised me to stay put until they knew more.

Turns out, he had broken the bone in his lower leg twice and had another break that went through the skin and they had to fix this one immediately in the ER.  And by immediately, I mean whenever their busy ER at The UofL Hospital could get to it, it took them a few hours to get to him.  He also would have to have surgery in the next couple of days to repair even more damage.  I was a basket case Thursday night to say the very least.  Then, around 10pm, I got a phone call, and it was my DAD!!!  He sounded awful, but he wanted me to know that he was going to be ok.  I told him that I would be heading that way after work tomorrow OR as soon as they knew he would be in surgery. 

On Friday morning, I had just dropped Cooper off at preschool when Gwen sent me a text saying that Dad would be going into surgery soon, so I hightailed it into my office, picked up my laptop and any other essentials and went to pick Cooper up and headed to the hospital.  Tim had a conference already scheduled in Chicago this past weekend, so he had to go there, which meant taking Cooper to the hospital with me.  I am glad I had charged the iPad so that he could be busy while we waited for the surgery to be done.

Dad was finally out of surgery and back into his room later Friday evening, which was great.  He was in lots of pain and was quite incoherent.  I stayed for a while then headed to my mom’s house so that Cooper could get some energy out and play with his cousins.  Larissa and Layne were scheduled to be there all weekend because my brother had plans to be out of town this weekend also.   I finally convinced my brother to go on his trip so the kids had a great time together. 

I spent Saturday in the hospital most of the day, letting Gwen head home to take a shower and rest a bit, Dad and I snoozed in his room.  He would be either going to rehab on Sunday or heading home depending on what the doctor and physical therapist said.  In the end, he headed home yesterday afternoon and was home around 5pm.  He is doing alright, he even hobbled down the hall in his house a bit.  I took a look at his leg before he left the hospital yesterday and I couldn’t have been able to tell how bad it really was from it.  They doctors and surgeons did an excellent job.  Yes, he has several pins sticking out of his leg, yes, he almost severed it during the accident, but the repair they did was amazing.  I am so thankful that they were able to save his leg and then on top of that, for it to look so good was simply awesome.

From what I could tell from pictures of the accident and from the story I heard of what happened, the end results could have been much worse.  Praise God for saving my dad and for the only damage to him being his leg.   He has one more surgery scheduled on January 18th – and I’m hoping that is the end, we’ll find out more when they are done with that one.

My weekend was stressful emotionally and I’m so thankful that I have such a great Mom and her husband Shawn to watch my son so that I could take care of necessary stuff with my dad, I’m thankful for Gwen and my Grandpa and Kieran and brother who will be helping dad on a daily basis as they did this weekend also.  I’m exhausted today, but I wanted to get this post written so that I wouldn’t forget it.

I sure hope your weekends were much more pleasant than mine, and Happy Monday!

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness that is just horrible. I hope this wej is much better for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just nominated you for a Liebster!
http://www.walkinginmemphisinhighheels.com/2013/01/6-years.html

Elise said...

Oh my gosh- glad your dad is okay!!

Milk House door said...

Glad to hear he's ok. Hope he has a speedy recovery! Hang in there :)