10.04.2012

Apps for Toddlers/Preschoolers

Today I want to share with you a few apps that I have on both my iPhone and the iPad that are really amazing.  They have helped Cooper learn his shapes, colors, animals, how to play the memory game and lots more.



Shapes was Cooper’s first “app” and it has a game where you can choose to be quizzed or just play a game that just teaches them the name of the shapes, there is no winning or losing.   You pop a balloon and a shape comes out of it and floats off of the screen and the app tells you what shape you’ve just found.  Then it goes into a cannon ball game with the shapes and then lets you put the shapes on a train, or the other way around, I cannot remember, all I know is that he really likes this game.



The Monkey Preschool Lunchbox is his absolute favorite game of all time.  And, I think mine too.  This game has really helped teach Coop different fruits, shapes, colors and the matching game (like memory).  The app talks to kids who cannot read yet, so that makes this app really work.  It asks the kids to “touch the purple fruit” “touch the diamond” “touch the biggest fruit” “count the fruit” (just touching them, it counts in the bubble) and “match the fruit”  Then the kids get to pick a sticker to put on a sticker board.  Fun!  There are other screens as well, I just didn’t include them for this post.  It is well worth the $0.99 I spent on it! 




Farm Animals – This app is pretty simplistic, the app shows three different farm animals and asks the child to choose one of them.  Once the child has chosen correctly, it displays a red circle around that animal and moves onto a new screen.  Simple, but definitely helps teach a child farm animals!  And for Free?  I’ll take it!



Elmo Loves ABCs is still one that Cooper likes to play, I got this app when it was recommended through someone’s blog, and it is a good app, but I got it REALLY early.  He was entirely too young for all of the activities they want you to do when I first purchased it.  He did listen to and watch the 3 different alphabet videos that it includes, but only now can he really trace the letters like the app asks.  This app has many different activities for kids, so if they like Elmo, I’d say it’s worth the $4.99.  Because I don’t have my iPad with me while writing this post, I do not have any screen shots, go to the app store and check it out!

Now, onto the Monster Book apps – I would recommend only buying one of these, and I personally like the Elmo and Grover version the best.  It seems to be more interactive to me, maybe only because it has Elmo and Grover talking to one another, but Cooper loves Elmo so maybe that’s why.  Regardless, they are both neat apps.  $4.99 is a bit high for an app in my opinion, so I wish I had only bought one of them.  Cooper likes both of them, but tends to use the Elmo/Grover one more because he likes Elmo.



What are some apps that you recommend for your toddler/preschooler?


2 comments :

Melanie @ 4Kottez said...

Elle loves anything she can dress up or make. Like the pancake maker or fairy dress up:) Wes just likes to watch trains - there is this one app called "Whopping Trains" and the same train goes around and around a billion times - and he loves it. Hilarious. I am going to have to check out these Sesame Street ones.

Unknown said...

Gotta try the farm animals and the elmos ABC's. Hunter may still be a little young for the ABC's but it never hurts to try right???