1.31.2012

Skinny "Big Macs"

As you've probably read, my husband and I are doing Weight Watchers.  Because we are doing Weight Watchers, we are making it our goal to stay away from McDonalds.  Hubby even has a bet with Andrew that he'll stay away the whole year.  If he accomplishes this, he gets $20 from Andrew.  This is not a lot of money, but hopefully it'll be enough to steer clear of that place for 2012 and beyond.

Anyway, hubby has a love for the Big Mac from McDonalds.  He will even sing the song for you if you ask politely.  So, since I was doing the meal plan for this week, I decided that there had to be a way that we could make these for hubby without him having to lose his bet.  So the adventure began.

I started off by taking 1 lb of 97% lean ground turkey and dividing it up into 8 2 ounce patties.  (I figured that was about the size of a Big Mac patty  but actually I think these were a bit bigger.)  We cooked them and added our cheese, in the meantime, hubby was browning some onions, there are a few in the burger picture if you look closely.


Next was creating all of the layers.  We had a pack of 8 buns, so we used 4 entire buns and the bottoms from the other 4 for the middle layer.  Here are the buns with the onions.

 Nex the first burger with cheese.  (We used one american cheese slice per big mac, cut in half for each burger)

 

Added some shredded lettuce and some thousand island dressing (just a squirt cause this was the full fat kind)


 Layer two, bottom bun of extra 4 buns, then burger #2, more lettuce, pickle and thousand island.


The final product.  I must say, for being homemade, we did a bang up job.  Hubby loved them and said this is a do again.  Each "Big Mac" had 10 weight watchers points each.  Compared to the real thing, this is a "points plus bargain"  Real Big Macs have 19 points!
  

 Here was our meal, homemade big macs with homemade french fries.  I made a new french fry recipe, got it from weight watchers, but we didn't really care for them much, so I won't be sharing that recipe as we decided to not make them again.


 What foods have you tried to make "skinny"???

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! That looks delish!! And those fries?? YUMO!!

I am trying to think what I have tried to skin-atize..... other than using fat free sour cream or something like that, nothing comes to mind.

No McDonalds for a year?? That is crazy talk!!

Hope you had a great weekend!!

Holly said...

Chris would LOVE this... I am going to have to buy some ground turkey this week!! :)