12.20.2011

Show me Christmas: Holiday Traditions




Christmas decorations in our family start the weekend after Thanksgiving when we normally put up our Christmas decorations and tree.  This year we did it the weekend before Thanksgiving because it was my birthday weekend and that is what I wanted to do for my birthday.  We even decorated outside this year, but you read about my decorations last week. 

After that, we don’t really have any big traditions until right before Christmas.  I make lots of cookies.  Sugar Cookies mostly, but I’ve made Chocolate Crinkles, Chocolate Chip and all kinds of others in the past.  Since my son was born, though, I’ve basically cut it down to just one type.

This year, we’re going to make Jesus a birthday cake.  We’ve been talking to Cooper about Jesus’s birthday and we want him to celebrate the real reason for the season and not just Santa Claus.   

We go to church on Christmas Eve.  I think we’ll put cookies out for Santa this year, as Cooper does understand Santa as he’s been singing “Santa is coming to town” for the past couple of weeks.  The hubby and I put the gifts under the tree, and we work on getting everything else ready for Christmas morning. 

We open presents first thing with everyone on Christmas morning.  We eat breakfast and then get all dressed and drive south to my parent’s houses for Christmas celebrations with them. 

Christmas dinner is usually a repeat of Thanksgiving.  This year it will be a bit different, at least at my mom’s house. 

That’s really about all for our traditions.  What are yours?  Link up and tell us!

 

1 comment :

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Looove that you are making Jesus a birthday cake! That's so sweet! It's nice to see that you are informing him of BOTH Jesus and Santa ... so important! Many of us get lost in the shuffle of Santa and gifts and chaos! Bravo for you to do that!!

Have a wonderful Christmas and let's get together soon!! Xoxo