9.25.2014

Fascination or Obsession???



Today, I find myself wondering the difference.  And I am trying to figure out whether I am fascinated by something or obsessed with it.  Keep in mind that this could be just about anything that I’m referring to here.  For instance, yesterday at work, some girls were talking about how much they liked Caramello candy bars.  There were two of us who mentioned these other kind of caramel candy bars, specifically sold in fundraisers from schools, Caramel bars. 


Then the two of us who remembered these kind of caramel bars proceeded to dig in on the internet and find out as much as we could about these bars, where we could find them, if we could find them, and WHERE.

Is this a fascination or an obsession?  I think for a few minor moments there, it was obsession.  Once we found out more about them, it was determined that someone would be going to a store to be able to find the closest thing we can to these candy bars.  Then it was just a fascination.  When my co-worker bought the candy and brought it in, we were all excited, but the obsession had worn off..



I'm not sure what happens to me sometimes though.  When something happens and I am intrigued, sometimes I cannot stop until I've literally learned as much as I can about a topic.  I remember the ENRON scandal back several years ago.  I was literally obsessed.  I couldn't get enough knowledge about how something like this could happen.  I read and read and read until I just couldn't anymore.  I still get this way from time to time.  Sometimes the information available isn't enough to fulfill my obsession.  Sometimes it is just a fascination - and I like to think I can keep from obsessing more often than not, but well, sometimes, it's just not possible.

How about you?  Do you fascinate over things?  Obsess?  I know I must not be the only one out there who gets hooked on something!!!



No comments :